Tuesday, February 17, 2009

How Cupid made me cry

I am very verbal about the fact that Jesse and I do not celebrate Valentines Day. It's a Hallmark holiday made up by some sentimental jerk off in order to make us feel bad that we don't appreciate and adore our significant other the other 364 days of the year. Not that I have a strong opinion on that or anything.

I hate the holiday. Plain and simple. The chocolates, the cards, the red and pink hearts. It's an assault on the senses. No one should have to see that much red and pink at one time. Don't even get me started on the jewelry commercials on TV. SWEAR TO GOD I WILL HIT YOU WITH A PINK BOX FULL OF CHOCOLATES.

So imagine how verklempt I was when I got up on Saturday morning and there was a card and a gift sitting on the kitchen table. If you could read my thoughts, there would have been a comment bubble above my head with this in it:

WTF???


"Honey, what is this? We don't celebrate Valentines Day."


"I know, but since I blew it on your birthday AND Christmas, I thought I would take the opportunity to make it up to you."

That is when a tiny tear formed in my eye, my heart (pink I'm sure) began to melt and I got all mushy. FUCKING VALENTINES DAY! On the inside I was shaking my fist at Cupid, the little fucker.

The card played a song when you opened it, and of course, it was "our song". Which just made me want to melt into a puddle right then and there. I love our song. It's so...... different. I have never in my life known this song to be anyone else's song. Of course. We may just be odd.
The gift made me leave the room and cry. You see, when she wants to, Jesse can bring me to my knees and and make me weep. She is just an amazing person. I am so very lucky. She bought me a flag display box for my fathers flag. Just typing this out makes my throat hurt and my eyes well up.

My dad has been gone for almost 3 years and I've been asking for a box for about the last year. It took me that long just to be able to get the words out without choking on them.
She got me a box for his flag. I'm overwhelmed with joy and sadness at the same time. I miss him so very much every day. He missed out on my beautiful daughter and she will never know her papa and they really would have liked each other. I'm certain of that.
.

3 comments:

Landlady of Fat said...

:'( omg how sweet... I love, love. :D

I'm sorry about your dad :(

Hey, what's your song?

Meg said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Real Live Lesbian said...

Damn cupid.

That sure was sweet of her. And yeah...what IS your song?