Friday, November 7, 2008

Oops she did it again

DAMN!

Okay, it's no secret that I have difficulties with my co-worker. One of the big things is the fact that she has rarely washed a dirty dish in this office. I have repeatedly washed dishes for her when it was CLEARLY her turn to do them. Sometimes I will wait and wait for her to do them and then I end up having to soak the damn things overnight so they will come clean. I think she is very lazy and I hate the fact that she assumes I will do them and lets them pile up.

So I took a stand. A silent stand, but a stand nonetheless. I washed every dirty dish in the office, dried them, put them away and washed the counters. Our little kitchen was spotless. From that moment on when I used a dish, I washed it immediately, dried it and put it away. I was hoping that she would notice that all of the dishes that started piling up were the ones that she had dirtied. All of them were hers. Since there are only 4 of us in this office it's easy to figure out who uses the dishes. Our boss never uses the dishes and my assistant only uses an occasional utensil.

I guess besides being lazy and presumptuous she is also slow on uptake because she so did not get it. The pile got larger and larger. I continued to wash just my dirty dishes and she continued to dirty up almost every single cup/fork/plate in the office. I continued complaining to Lin and to everyone else who would listen, but I stood my ground. Even when she was out sick for 3 days and I did a massive cleaning to the office, I did not wash her dishes. Let me just tell you right now how exhausting not doing the dishes has been. I could not stand to walk by them. I would avoid going in there so I wouldn't have to look at them. I hated it, but I stayed strong.

I summoned up a tiny bit of courage and while I was warming up my leftovers I said in an actual out loud voice "Boy, these dishes sure are piling up!" There was no response from her whatsoever. She didn't even look up from her keyboard. The whole time I'm thinking "You heard me, I know you heard me, play dead all you want sister!" I cannot believe she didn't even acknowledge what I just said! The nerve!

I let it go, I was just going to continue playing this game. I was not going to give up, not after all this time. I went back to my desk and got busy trying to ignore the situation. 2 hours later when she decided she needed to make a cup of tea she got up and went to the kitchen and said "Oh, I thought you were going to do the dishes?"

Right after my head spun around and popped off all I could think of to say was "Nope". You don't have to, I rolled my own eyes for you. "Nope"? That's all? I am so quick witted. Really. She didn't say anything in return and I just sat there and stewed on my "Nope" for another 45 minutes before I finally said (to myself of course) "Fuck this shit!"

"Hey, the reason I didn't do the dishes is because none of them are mine. I have been washing my dishes as I use them."

"Oh, so are all of those dishes mine?"

"That would be correct."

"Okay, I'll do them."

WHAT? That's it? So very anticlimactic.

3 days later and she still hasn't washed the dishes.

.

No comments: