Thursday, January 3, 2008

Missing the ones you love

I work on the 2nd floor of a very old building. I've been told that the trolly use to pass by right in front. We don't have an elevator and the stairs are steep and creaky.

After working here for a few weeks I figured out each persons footsteps. I could always tell who was coming or going. Even other people who work in the building. At first it was kind of like a game. I had a lot of fun figuring out each persons footsteps on the stairs. (Fun? I am SUCH a loser)Why am I telling you this? Hang on and I'll tell you.

Our regular mail carrier would open the door, plop the mail on my desk and shut the door as quick as she could. She was obviously a lesbian and I was offended that she didn't even give me a double take. Hello? I'm gay too! Do I HAVE to show you my membership card to prove it? Do I need to bring the free toaster I received when I joined the club and signed on the dotted line? Okay, so I'm not a hundred yarder and I don't wear pride jewelry, but aren't I at least hot enough for her to do a double take?

Talk about a blow to the ole ego. I would always thank her and she would just nod her head and shut the door. I felt so cheap trying to get her attention and she just snubbed me everytime. *sigh*
Did I think she was attractive? Not in the slightest. Why did I want her attention? I have no clue. I have been thinking about this for a long time. I have no idea why I wanted her to acknowledge me other than maybe having something in common with someone else who happens to be in my vicinity. Well, here is the sad news. I am very distraught. The big butch lesbian mail "lady" that I have been talking about must have been moved to a different route. I haven't seen her in weeks. I am saddened by this. My day just isn't the same. I will never again hear the creak of her foot steps on the stairs. I don't think I'll be able to look at another mail carrier ever again. Hold on...I need a moment.

Oh how I will miss her big strong hairy tattoo'd arms, her deep voice, the way she stomped so loud coming up the stairs. I could always tell it was her everytime.....but most of all,

I will miss her mullet. *sniff*

.

No comments: