Monday, January 14, 2008

Kamikaze Squirrel

Today I am driving Lin's cousins truck. Her car is in the shop today getting the brakes worked on. Apparently she feels the need to drive around in a car that doesn't screech. High maintenance? Anyway, she is driving my car because she can't fit both kids in the truck. I say make them ride in the back, sure it's cold but they'll live as long as she isn't going too far. Plus, they will eventually thaw out.

On my way to work I noticed a squirrel was starting to cross the road. Delima. Punch it and see if I can hit it, or let the poor little fellow cross the road to get to the other side? Want to guess what I did?

NO, I did NOT! What kind of person do you think I am anyway? I slowed down to let the furry creature get to the other side. But, it didn't work out that well. He got to the middle of the road, saw my truck, his eyes got really big and you could tell he was pondering the situation. Squirrels are intelligent like that you know.

He cocked his head to one side as if thinking to himself... "Do I continue or do I turn back, oh for the love of GOD what do I do?" He went left, changed his mind and went right, changed his mind again and went left. It was a sight to behold, it was like watching a tennis match. Back and forth back and forth. His indecisiveness cost him his life. His final decision to go back the way he came proved fatal. I couldn't stop in time (Maybe if I had been driving my OWN car I could have stopped in time). My heart jumped. There was nothing I could do. I looked in my rearview mirror, his little tail was twitching but the rest of his body was flat as a pancake. The twitching stopped. It was over.

Funeral services will be held on Saturday. Lets all bow our heads to pray.

.

No comments: