Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sometimes, family suck.

When my dad passed away almost 3 years ago, my mother decided to give his truck to my nephew. He was 16 at the time and all he needed to do to take possession of it was get his drivers license and insurance. He never did either one of those things.

He dropped out of high school, will not hold down a job, never got his license and getting insurance has never been a priority. Anything that didn't involve getting drunk or high has never been a priority for him. He's 19 1/2 years old now. He lives in an apartment with his 17 year old girlfriend and neither one of them will hold down a job. They can. They just don't choose to.

I borrowed the truck to haul some stuff because we didn't want to get my van dirty so it's been sitting at my house for long time. It's an old beat up truck that you don't drive around in for pride but you use it to haul stuff in. It's a work truck. I offered to buy it and my mom said okay but that I would have to wait because she was going to give my nephew time to get his act together. That was 6 months ago and I called her last week and told her I needed to buy it or I needed to return it.

She commented about the the bills she could pay and the new eye glasses she could get with the money I was going to give her. She lives on a fixed income and is disabled. She was going to call my nephew and tell him his time was up and she was selling it to me.

I'm not sure what happened although I have my theories but in the end my sister got insurance for the truck and it was no longer up for sale. One minute we were buying it, my son would have a vehicle for his 16th birthday and all was well and the next minute it was gone.

My theory is that my sister bullied my mom into backing out of our deal. She bailed out a kid who has had almost 3 years to get his shit together. All he needed was his drivers license and insurance and he would have had a FREE TRUCK. If my kid had that opportunity and he squandered 3 years and did nothing, it would be a cold day in hell before I helped him out.

3 fucking years. He's 19 1/2 years old and doesn't have a drivers license. I don't know why she did it. Now he's getting a free truck and he didn't have to do a thing to get it.

My mom said these words to me:

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry. Someone was going to have to get mad at me in this deal and I'm sorry that it had to be you. I could have really used that money, now I don't know where I'm going to get it. I should have sold it to you a year ago. I'm sorry, please please don't be mad at me."

I shouldn't be surprised that I got the shit end of the stick. It's been this way for years, but after that conversation I got so upset that my stomach decided to drop it's contents all at once. I love that my emotions are so connected to my bowels.

Imagine me, crying on the toilet and praying that my intestines weren't coming out with everything else. I wasn't for sure if I was going to write about this because my sister's daughter reads my blog. She's my favorite person and I know it has to be hard to read this about your mother and brother. But then if someone said something bad about my brother it's probably something I've already said myself so you just never know when someone is going to be understanding about the family you rant about.

I really don't think my dad would have wanted things to happen like this. I think he would have wanted his wife to be able to afford a new pair of glasses than for an ingrate grandson to get a free truck.

The whole situation sucks and has left me very sad and very disappointed in the way some family members have acted. I'm bitter and angry and if I were the type of person who could remember to send out Christmas Cards I would totally scratch them off my list. Until then, I'll have to settle for the cold shoulder. I don't even think they will notice.

God love my family. Somebody has to.

.

4 comments:

Landlady of Fat said...

Oh man -- that stinks! I'm sorry!

At least your family only sucks "sometimes". :)

:::silver lining?::::

Meg said...

Shit I will bitch slap him myself for not letting her have the money. I hate him and her for that. I guess a mom has to provide for her child one way or another.

KayJay said...

Silver lining post will be written soon. :)

Anonymous said...

ARGH, I know how you feel! I was in a situation where my rich aunt was going to sell her house. This house wouldn't have make or break her, that's how rich. The house is valued at 500k NYC. She wants 600k from us? WTF? That's more than what a stranger would buy for?!